Chicago Business Attorneys Litigate Breach of Contract Cases
Decades of experience resolving business and commercial conflicts
Contracts are the lifeblood of your business or professional career. On rare occasions, economic necessity may explain a breach, but it usually violates trust, and its harm can extend beyond the contracting parties. If you face litigation over a breach of contract, it’s vital that you have experienced legal representation to protect your interests, both in your finances and your reputation. Schwartz & Kanyock, LLC has more than 50 years of combined experience in hard-fought contract litigation. Our attorneys know what it takes to resolve conflicts cost-effectively and, whenever possible, to mend business relationships for the future.
Remedies at law and remedies in equity for breached contracts
A non-breaching party is entitled to relief at law or in equity, which means monetary compensation for the harm the breach caused or specific action that the breaching party must take to effect a cure. Remedies a plaintiff might obtain in arbitration or at trial include:
- Consequential damages — Compensation for economic losses due to the breach that were reasonably foreseeable at the time the contract was formed
- Punitive damages — Amounts levied on the breaching party as punishment for egregious behavior
- Liquidated damages — Sums that the parties contracted to pay in the event of a breach
- Nominal damages — Token compensation when the economic harm the breach produces is found to be inconsequential
- Specific performance — An order to perform according to the terms of the contract
- Contract rescission — The court declares the contract null and void, so it is no longer binding on either party
- Restitution — Rescission may come with payment to the non-breaching party for partial performance.
- Contract reformation — In cases where the contract failed to record the parties’ agreement accurately, an arbitrator, mediator or judge may rewrite it to reflect the true agreement.
Broad experience with a variety of contract disputes
Schwartz & Kanyock, LLC manages breach of contract litigation related to employment disputes and commercial litigation for plaintiffs and defendants. We know how to prosecute a case aggressively and how to defend one. When your business or career rides on the outcome of your contract litigation, you can trust Schwartz & Kanyock, LLC to perform at an exceptional level in negotiations and in the courtroom.
When you need results in breach of contract litigation, contact Schwartz & Kanyock, LLC
Schwartz & Kanyock, LLC represents individuals and businesses in breach of contract disputes throughout the Chicago metropolitan area. If you have a case in Cook, DuPage and Lake counties, we are prepared to provide skilled and determined legal representation. Call today at 312-436-1442 or contact our firm online to schedule your initial consultation.